A little history about St Joseph's National School

St. Joseph’s National School is a large urban school situated on the Dublin Road in the town of Longford. The school was built by the Sisters of Mercy in 1957 and extended in 1976. Although the trusteeship no longer lies with the Sisters of Mercy, their values are clearly woven throughout the ethos of the school - striving to enable all pupils to have the kind of educational opportunities which will empower them to develop to their full potential and to be confident, caring citizens of the world .The aim of the school is to provide a holistic education for all pupils in developing the social, personal, spiritual, academic and aesthetic aspect of the child.

The school is co – educational up to first class, then the boys transfer to St. Michael’s Boys National School and the girls remain until sixth class. The school has thirty teachers’ including the principal and two part- time teachers. Retired teachers, as volunteers, also play a very active role in the school community supporting and facilitating with many aspects of the curriculum and school life.

The school facilities the Language Unit for the county of Longford and benefits from the services of a speech therapist. The school has the service of two part-time home school community liaison (HSCL) coordinators and participates in the School Completion Programme (SCP). Through these services the school actively promotes and encourages partnership with parents and the wider community. Our special needs assistants are invaluable in providing support for pupils with special education needs. The school has the services of excellent support staff – secretary, caretaker and part time cleaner.

St. Joseph’s National School is under the patronage of the Bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise, the chairperson provides great support for the principal and the Board of Management play a vital role in the organisation and controlling of the affairs of the school.